Sunday, November 22, 2009

Review of Waiting For Spring by RJ Keller

I'll be honest that when I read what this book was about I didn't think I would like it - dramatic, overcoming adversity, emotional journey. This type of fiction is not something I would normally pick to read.  But I've committed myself to doing these reviews and being open to new things. So I opened it up and thought I'll just read a few pages now to see if it's any good before finding a volunteer to do the review for me.  I was more than pleasantly surprised.  Right from the first page of the prologue I was hooked.

 The style is an accessible first person prose with vivid images and a bit of a poetic slant.  Right from the start the characters are fleshed out and alive.
The story centers on Tess Dyer who has just divorced her husband and moved from one small Maine town to another nearby (truthfully it could have been set just about anywhere).  The story follows Tess's emotional journey as she moved past one relationship into another.  Her new love interest's sister is a troubled young woman who Tess seeks to help.  Several significant events occur which require Tess to make some tough choices and go places emotionally that she has not gone before.  I won't say any more than that to avoid spoilers.

However, the book isn't about plots, it's about people.  Tess in particular, but also those other characters in the book with whom Tess has strong relationships.  We see them and experience their emotions through the eyes of Tess, but if if anything, it makes those characters more real.      Each grows, changes and learns throughout the book.  Each is a real living, breathing character.

Time for another moment of honesty.  I actually cried at points in the last third of the book - real tears, real lump in my throat.  It's very unusual for a story to bring me there.  I think the last time was Bridge to Terebithia when I was young.

While I never would have chosen this book on my own - it really didn't sound exciting when I read its blurb. I'll admit - it's a book that I will probably remember for the rest of my life and think on frequently.  I am now a fan, and if Ms. Keller writes another book - and I sincerely hope she will write many more - I will willingly and enthusiastically read it.
Highly recommended.  5 out of 5 stars.

A caution:  If books were rated the way movies are, this would get a solid NC-17 (that's more R than R for those unfamiliar with it).  Sex and profanity are significant in the book, though not gratuitously so.  This book is very true to life in all things, sex and profanity included. 




If you wish to purchase Waiting for Spring, please use the Amazon link below as your purchase will support this blog and the work we do to promote Independent books. Unfortunately this book can only be found on the US amazon and not the international ones. Note there is also a Kindle ebook edition which you can find by doing a search once you're in the Amazon link below (for some reason I can't link directly to it). The proceeds from the kindle edition go towards a domestic violence charity.

Amazon USA:

No comments:

Post a Comment